I’m a new dad. Exciting times! Not as much time to blog. Not as many topics to blog about. I mean there is one new topic that I could probably write about. It would be easy. This could be a forum to document every moment of a new life. Then when he grows up I could go back and read all my own posts and have weepy nostalgic times over a beer or two.
Here’s the thing though….. This is thoughts and rants in jogging pants. While I don’t have time to sit around in my jogging pants anymore, I think I owe it to my loyal fan base whose numbers sit comfortably in double digits, to not turn this into a parenting blog. In my time on WordPress, I would have to say that at least 30% of the blogs I’ve read involved people talking about their kids. There’s nothing wrong with that. Some of my favourite bloggers do this, and I love hearing about it. I would say however, that this site is saturated with these types of posts, and not quite as full of scathing social commentary. I think I owe it to my non-paying public to keep on keepin on with the stuff I was doing before.
The other thing that weighs into this decision is that I respect the privacy of my newborn. Oh the tales I could already tell about shits he’s taken, or times he was upset with us. I don’t think it would be fair to him though. He might not want everyone knowing about his business, and when I approached him about it, he completely ignored the topic, and was totally evasive. I understand though. He doesn’t want to disappoint his old man by saying no, but if he says yes, who knows what embarrassing little stories about pissing on his sock I’ll tell the general public. Anyways, I let him off the hook. 15 days is too young to have to make a complicated decision like that, especially when you may not understand the consequences of your actions. So I’m leaving him out of this for now. Sorry baby nuts!!! (By baby nuts I mean people who are crazy about babies, not……well you know)
Here are some opinions I have about some baby related stuff though…… Since we’re here
– There is NOTHING to be gained from arriving at the pediatrician’s office early, other than disease from a bunch of other snotty nosed kids in the waiting room. Far better to wait until the last second to arrive. Even if you’re early, wait in the car.
– Stylized naked pictures of you and your baby are not art. They’re weird, and your baby will set fire to them as soon as he/she is old enough. What were you thinking?
– The happier the baby looks in an advertisement, the more likely I am to buy the product. Can you imagine how stressful it must be to be in charge of capturing those images?
– I’m really not looking forward to letting my kid watch ‘children’s television’ on the same TV that I’m supposed to be watching sports on, but I really want to find out what kind of show Toopy and Binoo is. I just like how it sounds when I say it. Toopy and Binoo, Toopy and Binoo, Toopy and Binoo……. I can do this for hours.
– When you’re in a store with your 2-year-old, be mindful of the fact that they probably don’t really want to shop at this store the same way you do, so don’t get lulled into the whole ‘I can shop with my 2 year old’ falseness. They will run around the store pulling things off the shelves, while you’re debating a cookware purchase. I often fantasize about slapping the shit out of these parents. If you ever see a silly little grin creep over my face, that’s the look of satisfaction.
I’m sure there’s more. I’m too sleepy to continue.